Thursday, May 25, 2006

Pandora's Box

My new favorite Internet thingamajig: Pandora.

This is so, so cool.

Haven't you been frustrated with the recommendations that you get from, say, iTunes? I have. "Other people who bought this also bought..." helps me...not at all, because my interest in / love for the song amounts to a lot more than genre or artist. Just because I like Lauryn Hill doesn't mean I like ALL hip hop, and I can like one OutKast song and hate all the others. (Same goes for you, Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com: Just because I once bought "A Brief History of the English People" doesn't mean I want to buy EVERY BOOK YOU HAVE about British history.)

Pandora looks beyond genre and artist and captures the *mood* of the song by filtering it down to the fundamentals: rhythm, melody, harmony, vocals, lyrics, key, cultural inspiration... This makes perfect sense to me. Bravo to the Music Genome Project.

No comments: