Tuesday, July 18, 2006

There's a Reason They Call it the Red Eye

Reason #1: No Blanket
Reason #2: No Pillows
Reason #2: Loud, naggy couples seated in the row behind you
Reason #4: Your neighbor's air turned on full blast and pointing at your legs, making it impossible to get and stay warm: see Reason #1.

I love JetBlue. I love that they have a direct flight from Dulles to Long Beach. I love that it's cheap and easy and you can check in online and print your boarding pass from the kiosk in the airport. I love the choice of snacks they give you. I am not so fond, however, of the lack of pillows and/or blankets. Really, one or the other would be nice, I don't need both. On the whole, though, it was a nice flight, and for the price, I guess you can't really expect pillows. I guess. I landed at 5:20 AM and was home by 6:30. It took me about four minutes and thirty seconds to collapse on my bed and fall asleep. I woke up refreshed and smelling very distinctly of Stuffy Airplane Cabin, which is alright if you're in a stuffy airplane cabin, but not so nice if you're at home in your own bed. I examined my back and was pleased to find that my cranberry burn has faded to a lovely lobster bisque color, a color I might consider painting my walls if I were allowed to paint my walls.

LA was a nice break, a good vacation with friends and food and sun and beach and weddings and freeways and shopping. I remembered why I love SoCal: the food and the attitude and the individualism and the weather, the WEATHER, and the easy life. I don't feel like it's my home anymore, although I can still drive like a local, and I realized how much I like being home in DC. I like being a regular at the Cuban place down the street. I like that I drive by the Jefferson Memorial every day on my commute to work. I like meeting people who think like I think, and feeling like I fit. I like having my church and my friends from all over who happen to be passing through, and I like that, finally, my mailing address and my permanent address are the same.

That said, I'm still considering grad school at UCLA just because it's in LA.

No comments: