Monday, February 28, 2005

Careers I Won't Pursue

Rapper: Ok, we've discussed Palestinian hip-hop and I wrote and article (published! published!) about Palestinian and Israeli hip-hop, and now I've happened upon an Evangelical Christian Puerto Rican rapper named Vico C. The hip-hop market is hot! Even South Africa is in on it. Maybe I should switch career tracks and work on releasing my own album! Well, at least, as a night job? No...? ....Anyway, the interview is interesting and I want to see if I can find his music somewhere.

Oscar-Winning Actress: I stayed up past my bedtime last night, just to watch the Oscars, which I make fun of in public but secretly enjoy. Actually, I just like seeing the dresses. Great dresses on Halle Berry, Cate Blanchette, Scarlett Johansen, except for the fuzzy-hair-nest-thing she had going on, Hilary Swank, and. Kirsten Dunst's bob made me want to get my hair cut. Penelope Cruz's 'do made me want to grow it out. Annette Bening looked classy, hip, and happy. I was amazed at Beyonce's eyeshadow. No only did it change every 30 minutes, but it completely covered her skin. No skin showing. Impressive. Renee Zellweger, though fit and toned, looked a little off to me, something about the proportions of hair to face to dress...I kept thinking of a toy soldier. Natalie Portman had the Roman Goddess look going on, but I'm afraid it just didn't work. Gwyneth Paltrow is beautiful, but does anyone else think she should start wearing gowns that, well, fit her chest...? Actually, that goes for most women wearing strapless, sleeveless, red-carpet ball gowns. The squishy-chest look is not, never has been, and never will be, flattering. On anyone. (There are, believe it or not, strapless gowns that do not produce the squishy-chest look. If you are a movie star, you can afford one.)

No comments: