Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Pretend I Am a Tourist

There are perks to having out-of-towners come for a visit. One of them is the excuse to go see all those touristy things you just never got around to seeing because, after all, you live here. I, for instance, have lived here for ten months and have never seen the Lincoln Memorial, or the WWII memorial, or the Vietnam Memorial and I really had little inclination to do so because I had the vague impression that they were far away from the metro and would involve perhaps a whole morning of walking. But on Sunday we went to said memorials, which were far from the metro, so it's good that we drove, but we went at night, and the air was cool and the breeze was light and the clouds were dense. The monuments stood triumphantly, serenely, solemnly, lit from below. I sat on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and looked out at the Capitol and the Washington Monument (trying to ignore the little flashing red eyes at the top) and planes flew low into Reagan every few minutes. I love that sound, when the planes fly in and their rumble echoes against the cloud cover. A group of twenty somethings enjoyed a late picnic on the steps below me. The kiosks selling hot dogs and keychains had closed for the night. And I felt glad for my life that had led me to Washington.

----

You should see The Constant Gardener. Really. Go see it.

No comments: