Wednesday, September 07, 2005

September

It's beginning to feel crispy here, like autumn, and the previously cloudless summer skies are sporting wispy threads. It's nippy enough that you don't feel awkward ordering a hot chocolate at the cafe anymore, and the idea of a thick beef stew for dinner doesn't sound so overwhelming like it did in August. When I arrived in DC last January I was alone (mostly) and it was cold and wet and gray. Somehow the imminent cold, wet, gray doesn't seem as intimidating now that I know this city and the people. Now it's MY cold, wet, gray.

But it's not quite there yet. Yesterday afternoon as I was walking home from the Metro, I thought, "This really is too lovely a day to stay inside. I think I'll just keep walking!" So I did. It was a nice warmish clear day, just the sort of early September day that makes you want to sharpen a pencil and write something, and it was a nice long walk to Tryst, to whom I give most of my money because I can't resist their big, fat mugs filled with foamy goodness and daintily accessorized with two animal crackers. Plus, they have nifty art on the walls. Last night I was sinking into my old brocade chair in front of one of the more unusual art pieces when a group came over to admire it. I looked up to make sure I didn't trip them with my absurdly large purse and realized that they were speaking sign language. Then I realized that pretty much everyone in the whole cafe was speaking sign language. It was a little surreal for a moment, like I had missed the memo posted on the door, "SIGN LANGUAGE ONLY." But then I asked the guy next to me and he said they were having sort of a sign language club gathering + class of some sort using Tryst's wireless internet + looking at the art because one of their gals had contributed. And that is really cool.

-----

Thomas Friedman needs to stop writing op-eds that are in the form of a "Letter to (The People, The Media, World Leader, Minority Population) From (The People, The Media, World Leader, Minority Population.) I read Friedman regularly because he won me over with From Beirut to Jerusalem, but...is he being clever? Lazy? Smart-alecky? I just don't know.

No comments: