Monday, January 31, 2005

End of January

We got a lovely layer of snow on Saturday night, and it's good that it came on Saturday night because on Saturday morning my car battery decided to die. But it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with some jumper cables. Four of us young intern types-Rami and roommate, Fatema and me-celebrated Fatema and Mayank's Indian hertitage by eating yummy Indian food near the Capitol. We continued our celebration by walking home in the snow and trying not to slip.

I continue to search for a church and yesterday visited Mclean Bible Church, whose size is astounding. They have a parking lot bigger than Colorado Springs' shopping mall. They even have a Starbucks. I felt like I was going to a football game. But after I got over the initial shock, I did enjoy the service. Energetic and focused, with plenty of opportunities to get plugged in. Seems like they take discipleship seriously. After three weeks of looking at churches, I'm tired of hearing, "Jimmy Carter visited this church in 1982!" and "Clinton once took communion here!" and "Oh, the pastor and the Reagan family go wayyy back." It's nice trivia, but it doesn't affect my walk with God. And although I respect the office of the Presidency, I am pretty sure the office doesn't contain an inherent spiritual authority...in other words, why should I care where he goes to church? So it was nice to visit a church that emphasises God's relationship with us normal people.

I really don't know how to feel about this. Liberal causes or no, Heinz is still my ketchup of choice.

Microsoft really is taking over the world...

Dave Barry fans, click here!

No comments: