Thursday, October 13, 2005

In which she makes a fool of herself at her new job

Ok, so it's week 2 of the new job. I am gung-ho. I am excited. I am determined to sweep them all off their feet with my MAD conference planning skills. Uh huh.

So...we have these two meetings coming up. One is a Very Big Meeting with All Our Partners, to be held in March, in Istanbul. One is a very small meeting to be held with a few of our partners, and we don't really know if, where, or when that will be held. However, the same guy-let's call him Antonio-is chairing both meetings. I'm supposed to get these meetings going, and in my enthusiasm I send Antonio a very eloquent e-mail saying how wonderful it is that he offered to chair this small meeting, and how this other guy (let's call him Frank) would also like to chair and wouldn't it be lovely if the *both* chaired, and let's plan for early March in Istanbul at such-and-such college, shall we?

Then I sent another enthusiastic e-mail to Frank, saying much the same thing.

Then my boss e-mailed me and said, "What? We're not having the small group meeting in Istanbul. We're having the Big Meeting in Istanbul, but we don't have a location. We haven't even scheduled the small meeting yet."

Then I realized that I had successfully confused everyone.

Then I had to send many apologetic e-mails explaining that there were in fact TWO meetings, as they already knew, although I did not, and no one knows anything about the location of either, and I'm terribly sorry for the confusion and it won't happen again and please do not hesitate to contact me with questions. Everyone now has about five emails from me in their inboxes taking back what was said in the previous e-mails.

I swear I can keep meetings straight.

No comments: