Monday, October 31, 2005

Masquerade

I went through a phase (at about age 12) where I listened to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack endlessly. And ever since then, I have wanted to go to a masquerade-not only because of the Phantom song, but because what could be better than dressing up in sparkles, feathers and swirly skirts and dancing to music played by a live orchestra and drinking sparkly drinks in long-stemmed glasses? NOTHING.

So when I got the e-mail from the International Club of DC announcing their Fall Masquerade Gala, well...you know what I'm going to say: I signed up. And I bought a mask and I got out my dancing shoes, and I tried really hard to make my un-formal black cocktail dress seem Very Formal. And I think I succeeded:



And not only were there sparkly drinks in long-stemmed glasses, but there was a dinner buffet, a dessert buffet, and gads of tuxedo-ed men who knew how to dance. At first I was a little wobbly on the dances I didn't know, which included...well, everything except salsa and tango. But I picked up on the waltz, hustle, cha cha and foxtrot, which are all pretty straightforward. And FUN. Because how can you not have fun when you are dressed like this



and feel so mysterious and seductive?

---

In movie news, I went with some friends to see The Legend of Zorro on Friday, and I Netflix-ed Baran yesterday. Zorro is, as you would expect, full of swords and horses and ragged emotions and beautiful people. The little boy is *adorable*. Catherine Zeta-Jones is gorgeous and wears pretty dresses while fighting bad guys. And Antonio Banderas is dreamy. Who cares that the timeline is historically questionable? See it anyway.

Baran is, well, NOT Zorro. It's an Iranian film about Afghan workers in Iran: a young teenager discovers that his fellow construction worker is actually a girl and he falls in love with her, despite extremely limited circumstances. This movie is beautiful. More is said in Baran's eyes than in the dialogue (Well--I could be wrong about that, since it's subtitled, but I think it's a fair bet) and the film makes subtle points throughout about love, sacrifice, humanity and generosity. Very moving, and very sad, because foreign movies with snow are always sad. Always. And you should see it, too.

No comments: