Friday, October 21, 2005

Things That Make You Think

Aha! I'm glad I didn't stop reading Friedman totally, even though I was mad at him for a while and even though NYTimes.com now CHARGES to read op-eds. His most recent contribution, Leading by (Bad) Example, is great. It'll be on Lexis-Nexis, etc, if you, like me, don't want to pay FIVE DOLLARS to read the NYTimes.com post. It's also printed in various other places around the net. I found it via Google.

I was Very Cultured lately and saw not one, but two small-ish movies at the Landmark E Street Cinema: Good Night, and Good Luck, about newsman Murrow's fight against McCarthy, and Innocent Voices, about the civil war in El Salvador. Both very good, although the latter is quite possibly the saddest movie I've seen all year. Don't see it if you don't have a strong constitution: boy soldiers, murders, guerilla warfare, all up close and personal. It's very moving and makes its point effectively. Good Night and Good Luck is worth a see, and no boy soldiers or murders take place (which is nice, sometimes) plus, a heftier George Clooney in suspenders, lots of cigarette smoke, a not-so-subtle commentary on modern politics, and that nice cultured feeling you get after watching a black-and-white movie that inevitably leads to coffeehouse discussions.

No comments: